Session Number Four – The Return to Wildwood and Rebranding of the Misfits
Session Start Date: 21 November 1775 – early evening
Session End Date: 4 December 1775 – early morning
Players: Chris, Dale, Jeff, and Andrew
Characters: Hubert, Hargrim (Weeble), Nanda (Stinky), Ortwin, Xugag and Dex
21 November – Return to Wildwood Planned
- Session Three Recap: After revitalizing the Huntsmen Captives (Andrist and Flugraht). Flugraht tells them that he understands goblin and has determined that this is simply a forward operating cave and the main snow goblin cave in the Silverrun Valley is about 2-3 days further into the valley along the eastern border of the valley.
- The major snow goblin cave is believed to have less than 100 snow goblins and is thought to be the spearhead of a coming incursion from deep within the mountains and the underdark.
- Knowing what they know, while the party is eager to push forward, Ortwin convinces them to take things slowly and return to Wildwood with information and with their fallen comrades.
- After scouting the Cave, the Misfits decide they will be safer if they encamp nearby rather than in the Cave where, if surprised, might not offer an escape route.
- Overnight the weather deteriorates, it begins to snow heavily and the wind picks up, roaring down the Valley.
22-23 November – Travel Southward towards Wildwood
- After waking to the newly fallen snow and poor weather, the Misfits break camp and begin the process of re-tracing their steps out of the Silverrun River Valley.
- They fabricate makeshift sleds to transport the fallen Huntsmen and load their existing sled to the maximum extent possible.
- The weather impacts their progress and over the course of the day only manages what would normally have amounted to a half day of travel.
- The weather improves on 23 Nov and they start to make good time.
- Late in the afternoon, the party start to get glimpses of motion in the woods around them and they begin to proceed even more cautiously.
- Despite their caution, as the party travel through a particularly heavily wooded area, they are surprised by a pack of starving wolves. Although mostly caught off guard, Hubert and Dex manage to notice the prowling wolves just as they spring to the attack.
Encounter 5: Starving Wolf Pack – Late Afternoon on 23 Nov 1775
Allies: 2 Huntsmen (Andrist and Flugraht)
Enemies: 7 Wolves
- Hubert readies a Burning Hands in case the wolves close from the edge of the woods and is rewarded for his forethought as the wolves burst from the trees.
- Hubert’s Burning Hands spell bloodies 2 of the wolves.
- The Wolves close the party and attack; Flugraht is struck by a critical blow by one of the wolves and afterwards is left barely standing.
- Dex makes a hasty retreat to the edge of the woods where he keeps guard over Stinky and the Sled (and ensures that none of the rations have gone bad).
- Hubert is knocked down by a wolf’s critical hit and crawls to safety instead of further risking a deathblow.
- Ortwin in a flurry of Ki Infused blows strikes down several of the wolves.
- Xugag opened with a volley of arrows into the melee but when this proved less effective than hoped, charged in with his longsword.
- Nanda hits the wolves with a Thunder Wave sending one careening in front of Ortwin who then drops the stunned beast.
- Although the Wolves land a few lucky blows on the Misfits, they are never severely threatened by the starving pack and make relatively hasty work of them. The Huntsmen, Andrist and Flugraht, prove their worth as travel companions too.
- After the battle with the wolves ends, they return to a campsite they used previously about an hours travel from where the wolves waylaid them.
- They pass an uneventful night.
24-25 November – Continue Travel
- The awake to light snow which has no effect on their travel. Having dropped significantly in elevation as well, the wind is not nearly as blistering as that which they experienced high in the Valley.
- A full day of travel behind them, the Misfits arrive at the Ice Troll Cave. They approach the cave with caution fearing that it has been re-occupied. This proves to be an unnecessary precaution, as the cave remains uninhabited.
- The cave does, however, show signs of having been recently used as a campsite and the Mistfits speculate that perhaps Durmik and his group rested here on their trek back to Wildwood.
- After passing another uneventful night, they awake to a clear and brilliant day. They make good time and at the end of the day encamp approximately a half-day of travel from Wildwood.
26 November – Arrive in Wildwood
- Another beautiful day breaks and the Misfits are charged as they begin the final push for Wildwood.
- In the early afternoon the smoke rising from the chimneys of the small, lakeside town becomes visible and the Misfits pick up the pace as their excitement becomes palatable.
- As they enter into the outskirts of town, word spreads ahead of them of their arrival and they begin to gather a large following of excited and curious townsfolk.
- Durmik and a small group of Huntsmen also join their group, relieve them of their gruesome burden of the fallen Huntsmen and send work to K’Lossis Maragin, Captain of the Northern Huntsmen, that the Misfits have returned and are bound for the Restful Ranger Inn.
- Durmik tells them that his group suffered several attacks by snow goblins and lost the Druid of Volaris to those attacks. The injury they suffered slowed their travel and Durmik only arrived two days in advance of the Misfits rather than the 4 days in advance that would have been possible had they made better (and less eventful) progress.
- As the party travel through the main part of Wildwood, their entourage grows considerably. They arrive finally at the Restful Ranger and find that with their entourage as well as those awaiting their arrival that the establishment is packed to capacity.
- The Misfits decide to pass the afternoon and evening at the Ranger in order to build on the positive energy and good reputation that they have recently gained. They tell their tale, purchase drinks and food and are the recipients of many a round of drinks.
- The group are aglow with the positive welcome they have received and emboldened by drink loudly and unabashedly tell their stories.
- Hubert, revelling in the attention he has come upon, is at full-steam-ahead on the story of the ambush by the Snow Goblins and the rescue of the Huntsmen when the bar falls silent. Rosy-faced and standing akimbo on a table-top with his pouch in hand, he strikes a somewhat grotesque pose (or perhaps erotic pose to old-stinky-man-loving-drunks?) as K’Lossis Maragin walks into the Restful Ranger, flanked by two of his senior lieutenants.
- After addressing the crowd, thanking the Misfits and updating the masses on recent discoveries, K’Lossis addresses the Misfits directly, “Listen, it’s obvious we all underestimated you by a wide margin and I am happy to have Durmik back at least. With your newfound confidence, I’d like to offer you the opportunity to continue your patrol up the Silverrun on the Huntsmen’s behalf and with my blessing. This will have the benefit of covering that quadrant <cough> where Durmik failed (shoots Durmik a look of paternal disappointment) and also allows me to reassign Durmik to other important tasks. However, as I note you’ve chosen a mountainous patrol, I have a proposal for you: recently returned from Meroe is Hargrim, a Kith-Zathan (Hill Dwarf) Soldier of Orin who would be well suited to join your party as he is knowledgeable in the hills and mountains (obviously) and I have need of expertise in lowland areas. Would you agree to have Hargrim join your band and allow Nanda to leave and assist Durmik in the west?”
- The Misfits hesitantly agree to the parting of Nanda and to accepting Hargrim into their ranks. Dex is despondent at the idea of losing his fast friend and requests to also be assigned to the patrol with Nanda – K’Lossis agrees.
- Hargrim introduces himself to the group and they spend several minutes getting to know each other before they recognize that Hargrim, another outsider, is a perfect addition to the group.
- They learn about Hargrim through the course of the night and many beers.
- Hargrim Flugu-illingr Ruulburgrarskegg, or simply Hargrim, is a bounty hunter/inquisitor on behalf of the Temple of Orin. The world being what it is, a varied and open religious society, Hargim’s marks primarily consist of Kith and in that, only those who worship such deities that disrupt good and orderly Kith society; specifically Nul-Toren, Chaldon and Tzorioch. The first born son of a devout and ancient Kith-Zathan clan, Hargrim was societally problematic from a young age. Quick to anger, intollerant and critical of others who did not align closely to Orin’s teachings. Rather than moderate his behaviour, the Temple seized upon his nature, encouraging and nurturing it with an eye to future employment. Through his teens, Hargrim was mentored equally by Orin’s priests, its holy warriors and atypically to a Paladin, by those with darker skills able to assist others in revealing their secrets.
- Hargrim is currently on the lookout for Haal Hammerfist, author of “A Manifesto on Nul-Toren and the Downfall of Kith Society”
- Hargrim has an animal companion, a Badger named Weeble.
- The party at the Restful Ranger carries on late into the evening and into the wee-hours of 27 November.
27 November – Prepare for the Return to the Snow Goblin Caves
- As the party begins to wind down, the Misfits realize that they have not made arrangements for accommodations for all their members. Hubert graciously offers the comfort of his “Palatial” home for all of them. The inebriated group wander across the city to the edge of the Templeton estate where, instead of leading them to the Templeton Mansion, Hubert turns aside towards a run-down servant’s house on the edge of the property. Noting the questioning look on the faces of his companions, Hubert states, “Oh, you wouldn’t want to stay in that drafty, bat-infested, hole <gesturing>. Besides, my brother is a terrible host…this will be more to your liking! <beaming>”
- Despite the run-down nature of the house, the now unused servants quarters (a newer servant’s quarters was built rather than renovating the old) prove to be both spacious and sufficient for the Misfits when compared to the austere camps they shared in the Wild.
- Near noon, the party awake in their new abode (old abode to Hubert) and breakfast on eggs, bacon, local mead and luxuriously enough Kauffee, imported from the Silastrian Tropics – a fine dark roast that Hubert “acquired” from a recent visit to his brother’s pantry.
- Purchase Potions and Alchemist Fire from Talon’s Outfitters
- Ortwin demonstrates a laudable character trait that the Misfit’s were previously unaware of – he has taken a vow of poverty as atonement for his transgressions in his youth – because of his vow, he spends all his money equipping the party with potions and other supplies, leaving himself just enough to subsist. Ortwin’s persisting “Bad Reputation” sees him pay full price (and sometimes more) – perhaps one day his reputation will be replaced by his heroism?
- When asked about Haal Hammerfist, Talon reveals to Hargrim that his is in fact aware that Haal was last reported to be hiding out in the ruins of the Kargonil Road (the ancient subterranean route that linked the Kargonil Clan in this part of the world through to the underdark and beyond to the furthest reaches of the then sprawling Kithic Republic). Rumour has it that Haal has his eyes set on the thriving Thanedom of Istradeep as a target for the glorious oblivion of Nul-Toren.
- The final evening in Wildwood, the Misfits spend prepping their gear and relaxing at Hubert’s home.
28 November – 2 December – Depart Wildwood and Travel into Silverrun Valley
- The rested and re-equipped Misfits hit the road early on 28 November. It is a cold and crisp day with lightly falling snow. They make excellent time over the first two days and encamp well past the Ice Troll Cave on their second night out.
- The morning of 2 December dawns with a significant turn of weather. The winds pick up and snow begins to fall heavily – luckily this sees the temperature climb marginally so it is not as frigid as the first few days out.
- Early in the day on 2 December, as the Misfits pass through a heavily wooded area, Hubert and Ortwin note figures lurking in the woods. Just as they call a warning to the remainder of the party, a volley of arrows is loosed from the trees as a Snow Goblin Patrol springs its trap.
Encounter 6: Snow Goblin Patrol Ambush – Early on 2 Dec 1775
Enemies: 6 Snow Goblins, 1 Snow Goblin Brute, 1 Dire Wolf
- The goblin’s arrows are mostly ineffective as the party spring into action.
- Hubert manages to drop several of the Snow Goblin Archers with well-placed magic missiles.
- A Dire Wolf leaps out of the woods and engages Xugag.
- Xugag keeps the wolf engaged with his longsword and after a hard fought battle takes the wolf down.
- Ortwin moves fluidly through the battlefield and along with Hubert’s magic missiles, manages to drop numerous of the Goblin Archers.
- The Snow Goblin Brute Charges and attacks Hargrim with his Maul.
- Hargrim goes toe to toe with the Brute and loses…or does he? Taken down by a Critical Strike from the Brute, Hargrim’s Kithic constitution (and perhaps an intervention by Orin?) sees him stabilize and return to consciousness. He leaps up and, barely able to stand himself, deals the deathblow to the Brute.
- As the last of the Goblin Patrol is eliminated the party quickly takes stock, heals up and searches the dead enemies.
- Within an hour or so of the attack, the Misfits are back on the road towards the Silverrun River Valley.
- They continue onward uneventfully for the remainder of the day.
3 December – Arrive at the Snow Goblin Forward Operating Base
- At the end of the day on 3 December the party arrives at the Forward operating cave of the Snow Goblins. They scout it out and realize that in the 10 days since they left the cave that it does not appear to have been reoccupied.
- They encamp nearby, still deciding not to risk being surprised in the cave.
- The morning of 4 December breaks on a snowy and cold day.
- The Misfits prepare to venture into unknown territory higher and deeper into the Valley.
Next Session Start Point
- Early Morning 4 December 1775
- Encamped near the Snow Goblin Forward Operating Base.
- Preparing to locate the Main Snow Goblin Cave.
Key NPCs from this Session
K’Lossis Maragin: Captain of the Northern Hunstmen
Durmik: Lieutenant of the Northern Huntsmen (significantly changed attitude towards the Misfits)
Andrist (Huntsmen): New huntsmen, young man
Flugraht (Hunstmen): understands goblin language, longstanding huntsmen
Distribution of Accumulated Wealth: Each Character received 150 gp to use in Wildwood (this zero-ized party treasure), Ortwin received the Boots of Striding and Springing, Hubert was declared the Healing Potion Bandoleer and received 2 Healing Potions (2d4+2 hp).
Treasure: 18 gp, 220 sp, 1 × 100 gp gem
Experience Points: 74 xp each (24 for Enc 5 = 144/6, 50 for Enc 6 = 200/4)
Cumulative Experience: 269 xp each (Level to 2nd)